How long will your humanist wedding ceremony last? Primarily, your ceremony can be thorough and detailed or brief and to the point. Depending on how much time you want to spend on each key step (see below part I & II). It will range between 20 – 45 minutes.
It’s a special occasion about new beginnings and a fresh start. And many celebrants have a charismatic approach to weddings. With the help of your independent celebrants your humanist wedding ceremony can be as long or as short as you wish. Read below the 2 key parts, that you need to consider.
Humanist wedding ceremony part 1
- Your arrival at the venue: First is your entrance – walking up the aisle (individually, together or escorted). This commences after the prelude (optional). And then, followed by your favorite processional (instrumental) song. Sit or stand during the ceremony.
- The introduction: Secondly, as your independent celebrant I’ll interact naturally with you and your guests. Then, greet, welcome and thank your family and friends for being part of your special day, on your behalf. Also, we can take a moment of reflection to acknowledge the absence of a loved one and honor their memory.
- Share your love story: The celebrant will share your emotions, experiences and how much your partner means to you. Or recite a love & friendship poem, give a blessing, or read a non-religious scripture.
- The meeting and proposal: Next, what makes your relationship special? Convey this in your personalised ceremony speech. It contains key details about your first encounter and the proposal. As well as, your love for each other, shared values and your hopes for the future.
- Wedding vows – yes I do: What were the important moments (setbacks and success) in your life? What does love mean to you? Express your declaration of devotion, and intent in your personal vows. Here are questions you need to ask before writing your wedding vows.
Humanist wedding ceremony part II
- Confirmation: Pronounced married, you are now husband and wife.
- Rings, hand-fasting or other token of love: Exchanging of your rings will take place. Maybe you want to give a wedding charm bracelet or hold a hand-fasting ceremony. Otherwise, blending of sands ritual or unity candle may be a possibility. Give a gift that represents your love for one another.
- The kiss: After that, you kiss. And this seals the ceremony of love plus confirms the joining of 2 families.
- The signing of marriage certificate: Declaration of marriage. You and your witnesses sign a wedding certificate (symbolic) or non-certified marriage license (sentimental reminder). Live music or a soundtrack can accompany the signing.
- The words of well-wishes: You stand and receive your symbolic marriage certificate/license. Read are wedding words of wisdom. And a parting speech from the celebrant makes the wedding complete.
- Closing remarks and departure: Finally,you leave the venue and walk down aisle together as happy newlyweds. Love ones can follow as you walk along to your recessional song (played or sung live.)
Over to you…
Please leave your thoughts in the comment box below. I’d appreciate if you could like my https://www.facebook.com/Englishcelebrant and share this article.